Today’s staff spotlight features WTCS Art Teacher Ms. Sophie Thorsen. This is her first year at Williston Trinity Christian School. Ms. Thorsen is from Huntsville, Alabama, the “Rocket City”. Ms. Thorsen has four older sisters and a younger brother. She graduated from Westminster Christian Academy in Huntsville. She then went on to Concordia University-Nebraska where she majored in K-12 Art History.
Ms. Thorsen is inspired by the older women in her life who love the Lord with a passion and are not afraid to show it. She is also inspired by people who are passionate about their art work and the art world. What makes her CRU proud? “It makes me proud to see how much everyone cares for each other, especially the staff. The staff do an amazing job caring for the students as well as each other.”
- What led you to work in your field? I love art, so I wanted to do something art-related. Both of my parents were/are teachers; they inspired me. Also, I knew teaching would be a good way to share God’s love with others.
- What was your first job? I was the junior high/high school art teacher at Rockford Lutheran High School in Rockford, IL.
- What are your hobbies & interests? I like to read. My favorite genres are Christian romance, classics, and occasionally some young adult fiction.
- What did you name your first car & what was it? My first car is an Acura MDX. Her name is “Big Momma”.
- Which skill would you love to learn? I would love to learn glass blowing and stained glass.
- What is your catchphrase, or a word you say a lot? It looks fine.
- What is on your bucket list? To one day live in Norway and visit Greece. I also want to be a flight attendant one day.